MyUBT Login


Eligibility/Enrollment Chart
Who’s Eligible
When Eligible To Enroll
Premium Paid By
First of the month following one year continuous State service
Complete an enrollment form within 31 days of hire anniv. date
Basic Life
First of the month following one year continuous State service Automatic
Supplemental Life
On hire date Complete Prudential supplemental life enrollment form within 90 days of hire or at open enrollment
Legal Service Plan
On hire date Complete Hyatt enrollment form within 90 days of hire or at Open Enrollment

Changes During the Year

You may change your coverage level (single or family) during the year if you have a family status or employment-related coverage change. You must complete and return an Enrollment and Change form and, if necessary, an Affidavit of Dependent Status, within 31 days of the change or you will have to wait until the next open enrollment to adjust your coverage level.

Change Type of Coverage Change Allowed Date Change Effective
Marriage Add dependent spouse (and spouse’s children) First of the month following your marriage*
Birth or adoption Add dependent child Date of birth or placement in home*
Legal guardianship Add dependent child Date of receipt of final papers*
Divorce (you provided coverage) Drop spouse Last day of the month in which divorce occurred
Death of dependent (you provided coverage) Drop dependent Last day of the month in which death occurred
Loss of coverage through spouse’s employer if spouse laid off, terminated, dies or divorces you Enroll in coverage Add dependent Date varies by type of change; see your Payroll/Personnel officer
Return to work through arbitration order or grievance settlement or administrative order Re-enroll Date varies by settlement agreement; see your settlement notice

* For supplemental life insurance coverage, dependents must be at least 14 days old.

Plan Changes for Dental and Vision Coverage

If you have at least one year of continuous State service, you may enroll in any of the Trust’s dental or vision plans. However, once you have enrolled in a plan, you may not change to another plan, even if you move within Ohio, until the next Trust-sponsored open enrollment. Also, if your dental or vision provider leaves the network, you will need to visit another participating network provider to continue receiving the higher level of benefits. Please make sure you request a directory to determine which providers belong to the networks of the dental and vision plans you are considering.


You are eligible for Trust-sponsored benefits if you are an active full or part-time permanent employee, including established term employees, and a member of:

  • OCSEA/AFSCME – Units 3-9, 13, 14, 45, 50, 55
  • District 1199/SEIU – Units 11, 12
  • OSTA – 1, 15
  • FOP- Unit 2
  • FOP/OLC – Units 46, 48
  • SCOPE/OEA – Unit 10
  • CWA – Unit 40

Established term employees should talk with their Payroll/Personnel officers for eligibility and enrollment information. In general, unless excluded by agency-specific agreement, established term employees will be eligible for all Trust benefits after meeting the waiting period. However, the legal service plan is not available to established term employees.

Limits and Exclusions

See your Payroll/Personnel officer for more information.

  • No person is considered a dependent while in the armed forces.
  • A child who is eligible as an employee of the State is not eligible as the dependent of either parent who also may be a State employee.
  • A divorced spouse is not eligible as a dependent.
  • When you and your spouse are both State employees (exempt and/or bargaining unit), each employee and their family members can only be covered by one policy.  Your options for coverage include:

Without Child Coverage:

  • Each employee may choose an individual policy, or
  • One employee may choose family coverage and cover the other employee as a spouse.

With Child Coverage:

  • One employee may choose family coverage and cover the children and the other employee as a spouse, or
  • One employee may choose an individual policy and the other employee may choose a family policy which would include that employee and the dependent children.

Under no circumstances can two employees carry their own insurance and cover the other spouse and/or dependent children at the same time.